In this blog post, I will demonstrate how to create a leave request approval workflow using SharePoint out of box workflow.
In every organization, there is a need to follow a process to track leave history for employees. So here I am using workflow to send approval to the manager for taking a leave.
For designing this workflow, I am going to includes three things here.
- SharePoint List ( Requesting for leave)
- Task list ( Create a task for approving or reject)
- Workflow History List (track all history of the workflow)
Leave request approval workflow in SharePoint using Out of box workflow
Step 1: Employee creates a leave request in the SharePoint list.
Step 2: Request goes to her/his manager for approval.
Step 3. Manager Approves the request.
Step 4: Mail is triggered to all stakeholders required. Workflow closes.
Steps for creating a Workflow
Step 1 : In this step I have created a list called “Leave request” in SharePoint Online.
Step 2: For enabling content approval workflow, we need to follow below steps.
- Click the Settings menu and choose the Site settings option.
- Click the Site collection features link in the Site Collection Administration group on the Site Settings page.
- Click the Activate button for the Workflows feature.
Step 3: Next go to the list properties and click on Workflow settings and add a workflow as per below screenshot.
Step 4: Next choose the Approval- SharePoint 2010 workflow and choose the content type as this List. Next, provide your workflow name and task list where you keep your task. You can give default task list or you can create your own task list to keep the information.
Step 5: Next choose the history list. As we know History list default it stored in Workflow history list but we can also give our own list. Next Start the workflow automatically.
Note: Microsoft will disconnect the link between the task list and history list after 180 days of your workflow start date. As we know much organization they want to keep all information for audit purpose so here it would be better we will keep our task and workflow history in our different list as Microsoft only target to default task and history list which will not be creating any impact to our solution.
Step 6: Next provide your manager name whom you need the approval for leave. Next, you can also write the requested email inside the Request field. Next, give the Due date of your task. suppose your manager forget to approve it so SharePoint will remind through email till approval. If you want to loop your HR in this flow then you can also provide HR email in CC field. Next to Enable content approval.
Step 7: Most important things need to do here, before creating workflow we need to enable the Require content approval for submitted item to enable Yes. Otherwise, you will get an error while workflow complete stage.
Step 8: Once you click on OK, it will redirect to your workflow settings page where you can able to see your newly created workflow.
Step 9: Next go to your List and send one new leave request to your manager.
Step 10: So that one approval request will go to your manager for leave approval.
Step 11: If you check the Workflow health, the status will show you as in progress because your manager not yet approved your leave.
Step 12: If your manager trying to approve your leave, then it will appear an Approve or Reject option as below image.
Step 13: Suppose your manager approved your leave, then you will notify through email.
Step 14: Next if you will check the Workflow history then it will show you all steps which has already done in your Workflow.
You may like following SharePoint workflow tutorials:
- SharePoint Online Site Workflow and Initiation Form Parameters example using SharePoint designer workflow
- Delete list item after specific duration using SharePoint designer workflow
- Set People Picker field to empty or blank in SharePoint designer workflow
- Change Item Level Permission using SharePoint designer workflow
- How to add edit task form url inside SharePoint 2013 designer workflow email?
- How to Trigger Sharepoint 2013 Designer workflow on a list item by calling REST API using jQuery?
- Packaging and Deploying in SharePoint 2013 designer workflow
- How to send an email using designer workflow in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013?
- Calling Rest API from A SharePoint 2013 Designer Workflow
- App Step in SharePoint 2013 Designer Workflow
- Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow to a different site in SharePoint 2013
You can also check the task list which is created after the workflow got approved. This is all about out of box leave approval workflow.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)