This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to create a custom list in SharePoint 2016 using SharePoint designer 2013. We can create various lists using the browser, SharePoint designer or visual studio 2015, etc.
We will also see, how to create a custom list view using SharePoint designer 2013 in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
In SharePoint 2016 there is no newer version of SharePoint designer, so we can use SharePoint designer 2013 to connect to SharePoint 2016.
Open your SharePoint 2016 site using SharePoint designer 2013 and then from Ribbon click on the SharePoint List button and then choose a Custom List template. Because we are going to create a list using a custom list template. It should look like below:
Then in the Create list or document library to your site page, give a name and description like below:
Once the list created successfully it will open the List page where you can manage few things like:
- List Information: In this section, you will be able to see the name, description, address, List GUID, items count, etc.
- Customization: In this section, you can edit the list columns and permissions for this also.
- Settings: Few settings will appear like: hide from the browser, display this list in quick launch, etc.
- Views: You can see the views presented in the list, by default only All Items views will be shown and also you can create views from there.
- Forms: You can see the forms used in this list like display form, new form and edit form.
- Workflows: You can see the workflows associated with this list. Also, you can create new workflows.
Now we will try to add columns to the list, From the Customization section click on Edit list columns link as shown in the fig below:
By default, one column appears for the list which appears is “Title” column and You can rename it by right click on the column name.
Then from the ribbon, click on Add New Column and then select the data type. Here we select Single Line of Text like below:
Similarly, we can add one more column as choice type. And to add choice option you can put like below, one option in one line.
Similarly, create another filed which will of Multi Lines of Text. Then if you want to enable Rich text then from the Column Editor windows select the checkbox “Enhanced Rich Text (Rich text with pictures, tables, and hyperlinks)”.
After this save the list and you can see the list got created and all the columns also have been added. You can see the changes by visiting the list in the browser.
Now, let us see how to create a custom listview using SharePoint 2013 designer.
Every list or library has at least one view associated with the list, by using which you can display list items stored inside a list.
A list view can be created and modified by using the browser and SharePoint designer. The advantages of designer views are that you can change the layout of the list, you can apply conditional formatting as you can connect the list view to another list as well.
Even after creating a new view using SharePoint designer you can also open the same view using the browser and do some more customization.
In this post, we will create a very simple view to display items based on a filter condition.
Follow below steps to create a listview using SharePoint designer 2013.
Open your site using SharePoint 2013 designer. Then from the “Site Objects” click on “Lists and Libraries”. This will display you all the list and libraries presented inside the site.
Click on the particular list for which you want to create a new view. This will open the list settings page in the designer. From the right-hand side go to the Views where it displays all the views presented for that list, then click on the New… icon as shown in the fig below:
This will open the “Create New List View” dialog box. Here give a Name and then you can optionally choose “Make this the default view” checkbox.
The list view will appear like below:
Now click on the view name to customize the view. It will open the code view, just to let you know here, there will be no design view since Microsoft removed the design view. Now put the cursor around <WebPartPages: XsltListViewWebPart tag you will see the List Tools View tab option from the Ribbon. If you do not see this option then check out this article.
Now from the List View Tools click on the Filter icon as shown in the fig below:
This will open the Filter Criteria dialog box, where you can set the filter condition as shown in the fig below. In this case, I have added a filter condition to display all the items on the list where Age is greater than 30.
Now Save this and open the view in the browser. It will appear like below:
Let us check out, how to delete a SharePoint list view using PowerShell.
Here, in this case, I have a Test list which has a Test view, I want to delete this SharePoint list through PowerShell.
Below is the PowerShell command to delete a list view using PowerShell:
Add-PSSnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell" $web = Get-SPWeb "http://win-pfcp2dgt8di/sites/EnjoySharePoint/" $list = $web.GetList("http://win-pfcp2dgt8di/sites/EnjoySharePoint/Lists/MyTestList1/") $myview = $list.Views["MyTestView"] $list.Views.Delete($myview.id) $web.Dispose()
Once you run the above PowerShell script, the “MyTestView” list view will get delete from the SharePoint list.
We can also set a view as the default SharePoint list view by using PowerShell. Here I have a view name as “MyTestDefaultView” and below is the PowerShell command to set it as the default view:
Add-PSSnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell" $web = Get-SPWeb "http://win-pfcp2dgt8di/sites/EnjoySharePoint/" $list = $web.GetList("http://win-pfcp2dgt8di/sites/EnjoySharePoint/Lists/MyTestList1/") $view = $list.Views["MyTestDefaultView"] $view.DefaultView = $true $view.Update()
Once you run the above PowerShell Script, it will set the MyTestDefaultView as the default view for the SharePoint list.
Here, we learned, how to delete List View using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/1016. And also it helps to Set List View as Default view using PowerShell SharePoint 2013/2016.
You may like following SharePoint designer 2013 tutorials:
- SharePoint designer workflow examples Create workflow using SharePoint designer 2013 video tutorial
- How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2013 or SharePoint 2010 Cache?
- Change width of list view column in SharePoint 2013 using SharePoint designer 2013
- How to check site collection size SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell and SharePoint Designer 2013
- the server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2013
- Customize SharePoint 2013 list form using SharePoint designer 2013
- Dictionary actions example in SharePoint Designer 2013
- Steps to create deploy and Associate reusable workflow using SharePoint designer 2013
- Show Ribbon for ListViewWebPart on Page SharePoint
- Hide All Items link from listview in SharePoint
- Add JSLink in Task List View in SharePoint Online
- Cannot open office documents from SharePoint 2013 with Office 2010
Hope this article will be helpful to create a SharePoint 2016 custom list using SharePoint designer 2013.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com