This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to solve an error, Another site or list is still using this content type. If you would still like to delete it please remove the content type from all sites and lists and then try again.
The error comes, when we try to delete a content type in SharePoint Online site.
Recently I have created few site columns, content types programmatically and then attach the content types to the SharePoint list in my SharePoint online site.
Then I have updated something in the content type so when I was trying to delete I got the below error. Another site or list is still using this content type. If you would still like to delete it, please remove the content type from all sites and lists and then try again.
The error looks like below:
I had deleted the list which I was using and I did not have any subsite in that particular site. But when I deleted again it was having the same issue.
SharePoint another site or list is still using this content type
The solution which worked for me was, even if I deleted the list from the site, it was there in the Recycle Bin. So to resolve the issue I had to delete the list from Recycle Bin and Second-stage recycle bin also.
After this, we can delete the content type from the SharePoint Online site.
You may like following SharePoint content type tutorials:
- How to Create Site Columns, Content Type and Custom List using SharePoint Framework
- Create and Use Content type hub in SharePoint Online/2013/2016/2019
- SharePoint Hosted App or Add-in Example: Create Site Column, Content type, and List in SharePoint Online using Visual Studio 2017
- Add multiple Office templates as content type to a document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Column ContentType does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user error in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Content type Examples using CSOM in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Hide content type field in edit form in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Change content type recursively using PowerShell SharePoint 2013
- Content type HUB SharePoint 2013 Tutorial
- Create Site Column and Content Type using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
This tutorial, we learned how to solve an error, Another site or list is still using this content type. If you would still like to delete it please remove the content type from all sites and lists and then try again.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.