Content Query Web Part and Content Search Web Part are very powerful web parts helpful in content aggregation. By using these two web parts you can get content from across different sites, lists, as well as content from across site collections, web applications and other SharePoint farms. Here we will discuss SharePoint 2013 content search web part vs content query web part.
Content Query web part a very powerful web part in SharePoint 2010, by using this web part we can get content from lists across the site collection. But it can not be beyond the site collection. You can able to retrieve search result from a single site collection in SharePoint 2013.
SharePoint 2013 provides another web part known as the Content Search Web Part which will be helpful in retrieving content beyond site collection. So it is necessary to consider some points before deciding which web part should you use.
Here are below points about SharePoint 2013 content search web part vs content query web part.
- If you want the content to available instantly after it is authored then Content Query Web Part is the only available option because Content Search web part will not be able to display items before crawling and indexing by the search service. Content Query Web Part can access the content instantly.
- Content Search Web Part is the best suitable when you want to retrieve content across site collection, web application or farm boundaries. CQWP can access content only from site collection not beyond site collection.
- You can also use CQWP in small two server farm topology which needs to support several users requests. This topology will not be able to support the constant demand for a search application’s crawl and index component.
- In CQWP you can be able to put a maximum of 3 filters, but in CSWP you can have multiple filters.
- To change style we need to change through XSLT, but in CSWP styling makes easier by using HTML and JS.
- CQWP is optimized for caching and also resource friendly. In CSWP you need to crawl regularly to keep the content fresh and available.
- Apart from this, SharePoint search only crawls major versions of content, never it does minor versions, so if you want to display minor versions of content, then we can use CQWP.
- If your admin team marked a site not to be indexed then only we can use CQWP because those site content will not appear in the search result, so CSWP will not be able to find the results.
You may like following SharePoint search tutorials:
- Documents are not showing up in Search Results in SharePoint 2013
- Create a result source and use custom result source in content search web part in SharePoint online Office 365
- JQuery accordion using content search web part in SharePoint server 2013
- JQuery News Ticker using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- JQuery Tabs using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- Bind SharePoint list data using jQuery datatable using content search web part CSWP in SharePoint server 2013
- Create a simple bootstrap navigation menu using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013/2016/Online Content Search WebPart with Query String
Hope this SharePoint search tutorial explains, the difference between content search web part vs content query web part in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.