Business owner of SharePoint site collection kept getting an email with the below mail body every day. SharePoint administrator was not exactly sure what went wrong with that site collection.
Mail Body being received by all the Site collection owners: From: MSTechnology_NoReply Sent: <<DateTime Stamp>> To: << List of recipients >> Subject: Confirm SharePoint Web site in use Please follow the link below to your SharePoint Web site to confirm that it is still in use. http://intranet.mstechnology.com/_layouts/useconfirmation.aspx If the site is not being used, please go to http://intranet.mstechnology.com/_layouts/settings.aspx, and select “Delete This Site” to remove the Web site. You will receive reminders of this until you confirm the site is in use, or delete it. Thank you, MS Technology Support Team
As we all know that SharePoint is mainly meant for content management so Microsoft has implemented some by default retention policies at the site collection level. SharePoint administrator can set the below retention policy in Central Admin at the site collection level.
Confirm SharePoint web site in use
Open SharePoint 2013 Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site Collection -> Confirm Site use and deletion.
Once you click on this, SharePoint will allow you to configure the retention policy.
If u see closely it also has an option to delete the site collection after sending the mentioned/opted number of unanswered remainders.
After I disable the checkbox as part of step 2 in the above screenshot, SharePoint stops sending these remainder emails.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint 2013 Redirect user to custom PageNotFoundError page
- Hide Edit Links option in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- How to set lookup column value in SharePoint 2013/2016 ECMA Script
- Customize access denied page in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Content type HUB SharePoint 2013 Tutorial
- Delete Corrupted Service Applications in SharePoint 2013
- How to configure incoming and outgoing emails in SharePoint Server 2013/2016
- Sign in as different user is missing in SharePoint 2016/2013
- Managed Path in SharePoint 2016/2013
- Manage Web Application Settings in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Create Managed Metadata Service Application in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Change list or library URL in SharePoint 2013/2016
I hope this helps, happy Administration in SharePoint !!!
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019