This SharePoint 2016 tutorial explains Workflow manager SharePoint 2016. We will see how to download and install Workflow manager 1.0 for SharePoint 2016. Then we will see how to configure workflow manager for SharePoint 2016 in windows server 2012 R2 machine.
New to Office 365 SharePoint Online? Get Office 365 Enterprise E3 Subscription & Try out all the features
If you are new to SharePoint 2016, then you can read below SharePoint 2016 tutorials:
- SharePoint Server 2016 Installation FREE PDF guide
- SharePoint 2016 new features for developers
- SharePoint server 2016 new and removed features
- Browsers Supported in SharePoint online SharePoint 2016 and SharePoint 2013
There is no difference between installing the workflow manager 1.0 in SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint 2016. Because in SharePoint 2016 there is no new version of SharePoint designer, you can use SharePoint 2013 designer to work with SharePoint 2016. We can use SharePoint designer 2013 to customize SharePoint sites, Workflow development etc.
After installing SharePoint 2016, if you open SharePoint designer and try to create a workflow then you can see only the SharePoint 2010 Workflow Platform Type as shown in the fig below:
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Follow below steps to install workflow manager in SharePoint 2016:
– Once you click on I Accept button as shown in the fig below:
– Then it will install various components like below:
Once the installation (Workflow Manager 1.0) over then it will ask to configure Workflow manager. Click on the Continue button to configure the workflow manager.
Then in the workflow manager configuration wizard, click on Configure Workflow Manager with Default Settings (Recommended) as shown in the fig below:
Then in the New Farm Configuration wizard, then it will auto-populate SQL Server Instance and then Configure Service Account. Give password. And then Allow Workflow management over HTTP on this computer. And Enable firewall rules on this computer. Sin the Certificate Generation Key, put a key as shown in the fig below:
Then it will display Summary as shown in the fig below. Then click on the right button as shown in the fig below:
It will display Configuration progress as shown in the fig below:
Once the configuration progress completes, then it will display in a wizard-like below:
Then we need to use PowerShell to Register workflow service to the site collection. Below is the PowerShell command.
Register-SPWorkflowService -SPSite “http://mypc/sites/MySP2016SiteCollection/” -WorkflowHostUri “http://localhost:12291” -AllowOAuthHttp -Force
When you run this command if you got the below error as:
Register-SPWorkflowService: Workflow XAML failed validation due to the following error:
Invalid type(s) ‘Microsoft.Activities.CacheScope’…
Then follow the below article to resolve the above issue.
After resolving this issue, run the above command and then it will register the workflow service successfully. Then to verify if the workflow is successfully registered, Open SharePoint 2013 central administration and then click on Manage service applications which is under Application Management as shown in the fig below:
Once it will register successfully, open SharePoint designer and then you can be able to see the SharePoint 2013 platform type as shown in the fig below:
You may like following SharePoint 2016 workflow tutorials:
- SharePoint designer workflow: Create Laptop Request Approval Workflow
- SharePoint designer 2013 Workflow: Assign task to a group using Assign a task workflow action
- SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow: Create List Item Action with Example
- Register SPWorkflowService Failed to query the OAuth S2S metadata endpoint at URI error while configuring workflow manager in SharePoint 2016
- SharePoint 2016 workflow manager error Service FabricHostSvc was not found on Computer
- Workflow App Identifier in SharePoint Online App Permissions
Hope this will be helpful to install and configure the workflow manager in SharePoint 2016.
FREE SHAREPOINT 2019 PDF
(Installation & Features)