Here we will discus about what is secure store service in SharePoint 2013? What are the services requires in secure store service in SharePoint 2013? And then we will discuss how to configure secure store service in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Secure Store Service in SharePoint is important service, which is used to stores the credentials. In some cases, you need to connect to external data, SharePoint provides Business Data Connectivity service (BCS) to perform data mapping. And in this situation, you need configure Secure Store Service to define the credential, which will be used to connection via BCS. Secure Store service will have its own database to store all the secure data.
The below set of services require Secure Store Service to be configured.
– Excel Services: can use Secure Store to provide access to external data sources in published workbooks.
– Visio Services: can use Secure Store to provide access to external data sources in published data-connected diagrams.
– PerformancePoint Services: can use Secure Store to provide access to external data sources. PerformancePoint Services requires Secure Store if you want to configure an unattended service account for data authentication
– Power Pivot requires Secure Store for scheduled refresh of PowerPivot workbooks
– Microsoft Business Connectivity Services can use Secure Store to map the user’s credentials to a set of credentials for an external system.
– SharePoint runtime can use Secure Store to store credentials necessary to communicate with Azure services, if any of the user apps require SharePoint runtime to provision and use Azure Services.
Steps to configure Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2016/2013:
Step 1: Log-on to Application server with FARM administrator account and open the Central Admin. Step 2: Go to Manage Service Applications, Central Administrator -> Application Management -> “Manage Service Applications”
Step 3: Click on New and select “Secure Store Service” application
Step 4: Enter all the details to create Secure Store Service.
Step 5: Click on OK once you see the Success message for creating Secure Store service
Step 6: Once the service is created you should be able to see the service as below:
Step 7: When we click on the service I get the below error “Cannot complete this action as the Secure Store Shared Service is not responding…”
Step 8: Ensure that “SharePoint Web Service Root” is running as part of Application pool in IIS, if not please start the Application.
Step 9: As soon as you start the service, you should be able to that error message is disappeared. Now we should be able to “Generate the Key” for the Secure Store service.
Step 10: On the Generate New Key page, type a pass phrase in the Pass Phrase box, and type the same string in the Confirm Pass Phrase textbox. This pass phrase is used to encrypt the Secure Store database, then click OK.
Hope this article will help you to configure Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2013 !!!
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 12 years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Your FREESharePoint Online Ebook is on its way to your Email Inbox. **************** You will get notification on FREE SharePoint online training, SharePoint webinars, Video Tutorial & also latest FREE PDF tutorials