This SharePoint tutorial we will discuss how to install and configure SQL server reporting services (SSRS) in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019.
I would like to walk you through the installation and importance of SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) in SharePoint 2013 & 2016. The below screenshots were taken while configuring SSRS in SharePoint 2013 with SQL Server 2012 the same approach can be used to configure SharePoint 2016.
Install and configure SQL server reporting services (SSRS) in SharePoint
I would like to divide this article into 2 different sections:
- Installation of SSRS for SharePoint
- Configure SSRS in a Site Collection
Log on to SQL server / SharePoint WFE server with an admin account and follow the screens to install SSRS:
Note: SSRS can be installed either on SQL server and attach that to FARM and then install Reporting services add-in SharePoint FARM or install SSRS on SharePoint WFE.
Run SQL server 2012 setup file and select Installation in the left side menu and select “add features to an existing installation” as shown below.
This will validate all the prerequisites to add the feature.
Now accept the license term and click “Next”.
As soon as you click on next it will validate the setup support rules as shown below.
Select “Setup Role” from the left menu and click on “SQL Server Feature Installation” and click on “Next” button.
Select all the options as shown below to install “Reporting Services” for SQL Server and then click on Next.
Now you can select which server you want to configure these services, select Default instance as shown below.
As part of Server Configuration, you can mention which account you want to run these services in Server.
As part of Database Engine configuration, please add the SharePoint FARM account and all the account you want to nominate them as admins.
Now the SQL setup will validate all the configuration rule as shown below.
As soon as you click on Next button setup will list out all the features getting installed. Review all the features and click on “Install”.
Once the installation completed setup will show you the completed slide as below.
With this, we have completed the installation of SSRS now let us see the steps to configure the same in SharePoint.
As soon as SSRS installation completed you will see “SQL Server Reporting Services Service” as part of Services in server central admin.
Open SharePoint Central Administration -> Application Management -> Service application -> Manage service on server.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Configure SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) in SQL Server 2012 Step by step guide
- Configure Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2012
- Configure Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Configure DNS in Windows Server 2012 step by step tutorial
- Importing SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) Sample CUBE and Processing the CUBEs
- Excel Service to import SSAS Cubes and Generating Pivot tables in SharePoint BI
- Shrink SharePoint config database transaction log files
- User profile synchronization service stuck on starting SharePoint 2013/2016
- Excel Service to import External DB Using Secure Store connection
- Create managed metadata navigation in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Configure Excel Service Application in SharePoint 2013/2016
- The SSRS service application proxy is not configured. Use the SSRS service application pages to configure the proxy
- The report server is unable to access encrypted data. Apply a back-up key or delete all encrypted content
- SSRS Data Source disabled in SharePoint 2013
- UserProfileDBCache_WCFLogging ProfileDBCacheServiceClient.GetUserData threw exceptionObject reference not set to an instance of an object
- Reporting Server Integration feature missing in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Report Data Source content type is missing
- Data Refreshing issue Access Denied to Analysis services Database. Contact Administrator SharePoint Business Intelligence (BI) services
- Data Refreshing issue Access Denied to Analysis Services Database Contact Administrator in PowerPivot in SharePoint BI services
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to install and configure SSRS in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019