This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss, what is secure store service in SharePoint 2013? What are the services requires in secure store service in SharePoint 2013? And then we will discuss how to configure secure store service in SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Tutorial Contents
Secure Store Service in SharePoint is important service, which is used to stores the credentials. In some cases, you need to connect to external data, SharePoint provides Business Data Connectivity Service (BCS) to perform data mapping.
And in this situation, you need to configure Secure Store Service to define the credential, which will be used to a connection via BCS. Secure Store service will have its own database to store all the secure data.
Secure Store Service is a shared service that provides storage and mapping of credentials such as account names and passwords. It enables you to securely store data that provides credentials required for connecting to external systems and associating those credentials to a specific identity or group of identities.
It is very common for solutions to try to authenticate to an external system in which the current user is known differently or has a different account for authentication. In such cases, Secure Store Service can be used to store and map user credentials required by the external system. You can configure Secure Store Service so that multiple users can access an external system by using a single set of credentials on that external system.
The below set of services require Secure Store Service to be configured.
- Excel Services: Can use Secure Store to provide access to external data sources in published workbooks.
- Visio Services: Can use Secure Store to provide access to external data sources in published data-connected diagrams.
- PerformancePoint Services: can use Secure Store to provide access to external data sources. PerformancePoint Services requires Secure Store if you want to configure an unattended service account for data authentication
- Power Pivot requires Secure Store for a scheduled refresh of PowerPivot workbooks
- Microsoft Business Connectivity Services can use Secure Store to map the user’s credentials to a set of credentials for an external system.
- SharePoint runtime can use Secure Store to store credentials necessary to communicate with Azure services if any of the user apps require SharePoint runtime to provision and use Azure Services.
Step-1: Open SharePoint 2013/2016 central administration, Log-on to the Application server with a FARM administrator account and open the SharePoint Central Admin.
Step-2: Go to Manage Service Applications, Central Administrator -> Application Management -> “Manage Service Applications”.
Step-3: Click on New and select “Secure Store Service” application.
Step-4: Enter all the details to create a Secure Store Service.
Step-5: Click on OK once you see the Success message for creating Secure Store service.
Step-6: Once the service is created you should be able to see the service as below:
Step-7: When we click on the service I get the below error “Cannot complete this action as the Secure Store Shared Service is not responding…”
Step-8: Ensure that “SharePoint Web Service Root” is running as part of the application pool in IIS, if not please start the Application.
Step-9: As soon as you start the service, you should be able to that error message is disappeared. Now we should be able to “Generate the Key” for the Secure Store service.
Step-10: On the Generate New Key page, type a passphrase in the PassPhrase box, and type the same string in the Confirm PassPhrase textbox. This passphrase is used to encrypt the Secure Store database, then click OK.
You may like following SharePoint service applications tutorials:
- Configure the Excel Service Application in SharePoint 2013
- The SSRS service application proxy is not configured. Use the SSRS service application pages to configure the proxy
- Configure and Consume Managed Metadata Service Application in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2016 User Profile Service Application (UPSA) configuration step by step tutorial
- Delete Corrupted Service Applications in SharePoint 2013
- Get Service Applications using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
- How to configure the search service application in SharePoint 2013?
- Create a Search Service Application in SharePoint 2010
- The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available.
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned what is secure store service sharepoint 2013? what is the use of secure store service SharePoint 2013/2016? How to configure secure store service application SharePoint 2013/2016?
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019