In this post, we will discuss how to configure the Remote Blob Storage in SharePoint 2010. In SharePoint Server, a binary large object (BLOB) is a large block of data stored in a database that is known by its size and location instead of by its structure: for example an Office document or a video file. By default, these BLOBs, also known as unstructured data, are stored directly in the SharePoint content database together with the associated metadata, or structured data. Because these BLOBs can be very large, it might be better to store BLOBs outside the content database. BLOBs are immutable. Therefore, a new copy of the BLOB must be stored for each version of that BLOB. Because of this, as a database’s usage increases, the total size of its BLOB data can expand quickly and grow larger than the total size of the document metadata and other structured data that is stored in the database. BLOB data can consume lots of space and uses server resources that are optimized for database access patterns. Therefore, it can be helpful to move BLOB data out of the SQL Server database, and onto commodity or content addressable storage.
Read some SharePoint Online tutorials:
– Download FREE PDF on HUB site in SharePoint online
The user account that you use to perform the procedures that are described in this document must have the following memberships:
1. Administrators group on the Web servers and application servers.
2. SQL Server dbcreator and securityadmin fixed server roles on the computer that is running SQL Server 2008.
After this Following the step:
A) Enable FILESTREAM on the database server
1. On the Start menu, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.
2. In the list of services, right-click SQL Server Services, and then click Open. See in fig
3. In the SQL Server Configuration Manager snap-in, locate the instance of SQL Server on which you want to enable FILESTREAM.
4. Right-click the instance and then click Properties.
5. In the SQL Server Properties dialog box, click the FILESTREAM tab.
6. Select the Enable FILESTREAM for Transact-SQL access check box.
7. If you want to read and write FILESTREAM data from Windows, click Enable FILESTREAM for file I/O streaming access. Enter the name of the Windows share in the Windows Share Name box.
8. If remote clients must access the FILESTREAM data that is stored on this share, select Allow remote clients to have streaming access to FILESTREAM data.
9. Click Apply. See in fig
We can begin to configure Filestreaming for SharePoint. Follow the step –
1. In SQL Server Management Studio, click New Query to display the Query Editor.
2. In Query Editor, enter the following Transact-SQL code:
EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
3. Click Execute.
B) Provision a BLOB store for each content database
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server 2008, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Connect to the instance of SQL Server that hosts the content database.
3. Expand Databases.
4. Click the content database for which you want to create a BLOB store, and then click New Query.
5. Paste the following SQL queries in Query pane, and then execute them in the sequence listed.
if not exists (select * from sys.symmetric_keys where name = N’##MS_DatabaseMasterKey##’)create master key encryption by password = N’Admin Key Password !2#4′
if not exists (select groupname from sysfilegroups where groupname=N’RBSFilestreamProvider’)alter database [WSS_Content] add filegroup RBSFilestreamProvider contains filestream
alter database [WSS_Content] add file (name = RBSFilestreamFile, filename = ‘C:\Blobstore’) to filegroup RBSFilestreamProvider
Note: In All the three queries replace [WSS_Content] with the content database name, and replace c:\BlobStore with the volume\directory in which you want the BLOB store created. See in fig
C) Install the RBS provider components on each server (SQL and Web Server)
To install RBS on SQL server and then First Web server follow the below steps
Browse to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16978 find rbs.msi download X64 Package.
Note: Do not download the rbs_x64 link given in TechNet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663474.aspx
Run cmd prompt as Administrator and then click OK.
Change the directory to the place where rbs.msi is downloaded on the machine.
Copy and paste the following command into the Command Prompt window.
msiexec /qn /lvx* rbs_install_log.txt /i RBS.msi TRUSTSERVERCERTIFICATE=true FILEGROUP=PRIMARY DBNAME=”WSS_Content” DBINSTANCE=”DBInstance Name” FILESTREAMFILEGROUP=RBSFilestreamProvider FILESTREAMSTORENAME=FilestreamProvider_1
Note: Replace WSS_Content and DBInstance Name in the above command as your database content and database instance name.
After that, you can check for successful rbs installation than go that file The rbs_install_log.txt log file is created in the same location as the RBS_x64.msi file. Open the rbs_install_log.txt log file by using a text editor and scroll toward the bottom of the file. Within the last 20 lines of the end of the file, an entry should read as follows: Product: SQL Remote Blob Storage – Installation completed successfully. See in fig
remote blob storage SharePoint 2013 step by stepD) To enable RBS by using Windows PowerShell
On the Start menu, click All Programs.
Click Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products.
Click SharePoint 2010 Management Shell.
At the Windows PowerShell command prompt, type the following command:
$cdb = Get-SPContentDatabase < WSS_Content >
$rbss = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings
Note: Replace WSS_Content with your Database.
E) Test the configuration of RBS on the SharePoint 2010:
Now browse to the SharePoint website, which is configured to use RBS.
Navigate to any document library and upload files over 100KB.
Now check the BLOB store folder size to see, if new files are copied. See in fig
Hope this article will be helpful to configure remote blob storage in SharePoint.
Download FREE SharePoint 2019 Installation PDF Guide
This FREE PDF contains, Steps by step guide to install SharePoint 2019 Preview, prerequisites, hardware and software new features. First impression to SharePoint Server 2019 new modern site, modern lists and modern document libraries.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials: