In this article we will learn how to create and associate Excel Services in SharePoint-2013.
– What is Excel Services
– Which version of SharePoint support Excel Services
– Why & Where we use Excel Services in SharePoint 2013
– Advantages with Excel Services
What is Excel Services?
Excel service is a shared service in SharePoint that provides you a facility to publish Excel workbooks on SharePoint portal for better collaboration. These published work books cab be fully secured and managed across the users as per the business needs. The beauty of excel service is excel workbook will be rendered in browser seamlessly. So user really no need to have office installed on their machine.
Which version of SharePoint support Excel Services?
Excel services will be available only in Enterprise version of SharePoint server 2013. Excel Services consists of Excel Calculation Services, the Excel Web Access Web Part, and Excel Web Services for programmatic access.
Why & where we use Excel Services in SharePoint 2013?
In SharePoint 2013 Enterprise portals Excel services play a key & vital role. Excel service is primarily used for Business Intelligence scenarios. As part of BI Excel workbooks can connect to external content sources to generate reports and can be easily published in SharePoint document libraries. Since Excel Services can render workbooks in browser it will be much quicker and easily readable. This really gives a free hand to collaborate the reports / documents across the organization.
Advantages with Excel Services:
Excel Service will provide below list of advantages:
– Edit and browse the workbooks in browser
– Sharing workbooks
– Building business intelligence (BI) dashboards
– Report building in Power view & Power pivot
Configure excel services sharepoint 2013 step by step:
Let us learn step by step approach to configure excel services in SharePoint 2013.
1. Log on to SharePoint Application server as FARM administrator account
2. Open Central Admin as administrator
3. Open Manage Service Applications in the below path
Central Administration -> Application Management ->Manage Service Applications (under Service Applications)
4. Click on New service application and select “Excel Service Application” as shown in the below screen shot.
5. Enter the mandatory fields:
– Service application Name
– Application pool name
– Select the desired managed account
– Once you enter all the required fields click on “OK” button
6. Once you click on OK button SharePoint will create a new Excel Service Application
7. As soon as the service application is created ensure than “Excel Calculation Services” is running as part of services on server.
Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Services on Server (under Service Applications)
8. Last step is to check the user permissions on content database.
a. Log on to SQL server with admin account
b. Launch SQL server management studio
c. Select the right content DB
d. Expand Security
e. Select Users option
f. Select the right user and ensure the login name
g. Ensure the right permissions DBOwner & SPDataAccess