Comparing SharePoint 2016 Boundaries and limitations with SharePoint 2013/2010
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
SharePoint 2016 seems to be a major update that can handle a large amount of data. The maximum content database size is still not announced but it will either 1TB or greater which is at least 5 times greater than the maximum content DB size of existing SharePoint environments (2010 & 2013) which means content can scale in TBs.
The increase in Content DB size means it will be supporting a larger number of site collections and YES a single content database in SharePoint 2016 can hold 100,000 site collections (it requires a huge round of applause) which is 20 times great then the existing ones.
Below table shows the Limits and boundaries of SharePoint 2016 vs SharePoint 2013 Vs SharePoint 2010:
|SharePoint 2016||SharePoint 2013||SharePoint 2010|
|Content Database Size||Content database sizing into TB’s||200 GB in general usage scenarios.||200 GB in general usage scenarios.|
|Site Collections per Content Database||100,000 site collections per content database||2,000 recommended5,000 maximum||2,000 recommended5,000 maximum|
|List Threshold||Increased List Threshold >5,000||5,000 items||5,000 items|
|Max File Size||Max File Size increases to 10GB and removed character restrictions||Default maximum file size is 250 MB which can increase up to 2GB||Default maximum file size is 250 MB which can increase up to 2GB|
|Indexed Items||2x increase in Search scale to 500 million items||100 million per search service application.10 million per index partition||100 million per search service application.10 million per index partition|
You may like following SharePoint 2016 tutorials:
- How to create web application SharePoint 2016?
- Browsers Supported in SharePoint 2016
- Configure alternate access mappings SharePoint 2016 step by step
- Configure user profile service application in SharePoint 2016 step by step tutorial
- How to make SharePoint 2016 site read-only?
- Sign in as different user is missing in SharePoint 2016
- Managed Path in SharePoint 2016
- Content type in SharePoint 2016 tutorial
- SharePoint 2016 Develop and deploy custom feature using Visual Studio
- Enable anonymous access in SharePoint 2016
- Install SharePoint 2016 using PowerShell
Here, we saw how to Boundaries and limitations of SharePoint 2016 with SharePoint 2013/2010.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)