Microsoft recently provides the huge update for SharePoint online customers to view the SharePoint sites in different level User Interface. This site template named as “Communication Site”. Learn about SharePoint Online Office 365 communication site overview.
Now How to get the “Update” in your tenant. Navigate to Office 365 Portal.
Open Admin Center ->Settings -> Organization Profile
Release preferences -> Click Edit ->Select “First release for everyone”
Click Next -> Click Save
Just wait for a couple of hours the update has been applied to your SharePoint tenant.
Now let’s check communication site template in your SharePoint tenant
Open Admin center -> Click SharePoint
On that page Click Create Site
You now able to see the two site templates one will be Team site, and another one is Communication site
Communication site in Office 365 SharePoint Online
Communication site template provides a beautiful look and feel of SharePoint site across all the devices like mobile, web, tablets, SharePoint mobile applications with fully responsive.
It’s showing three types of design layouts:
- Topic -> Contains News, Events, Documents, and other web parts as team sites
- Showcase -> It helps to display the photos and images well suitable for products related sites
- Blank -> It’s a blank site template, we need to integrate all the web parts and layouts from the scratch
Now let’s create all the three templates and see the experience of beautiful communication sites.
Click Communication site -> Choose Topic design template-> Provide the site title and Description -> Click Finish
The site has been created successfully.
Here we discuss
- News web part and its layouts
- Page layouts with Mobile and desktop views
- People Picker Card Web part
Let’s Getting started with navigation
You can now able to organize your site navigation on the page using the “Edit” link. Now I will show you create a link and sub link.
Click Edit -> Click on the child navigation -> Click Make Sub link ->Click Save
Now the “Document” link has been moved as sub-link “Home”. Create a New Menu Item -> Click on ADD Icon.
Look “Our tenant” Menu item has been added successfully
2. News Web part (This new News web part provides the rich UI experience for display and reading news). Click Edit Page -> Click Add in a Page.
Select News Web part from Add web part selection window.
Office 365 SharePoint online Communication Site
When you click on EDIT
You can able to see the Three types of layouts
- Top Story [View the content and images as a thumbnail widget]
- List View [This layout shows one by one ]
- Side by Side [It shows the content and images side by side]
Just Add going to news contents into this News web part. Click Add
It navigates to the content page -> Provide the title of your News page
Click ADD Icon -> Click Image
Add Text Into it.
You can also now able to adjust the font settings, Align as lookalike Microsoft office word. Click Save and Publish.
Top story layout in Communication Site
List View Layout in Communication Site
Side By Side Layout in Communication Site
#3. People Profiles:
This web part helps to show the people card in your SharePoint page.Click Add -> Select People
Provide the People name and Press Enter it added automatically
Click on the profile -> It will pop up the user information like phone, email and recent activities of the user
- One Column – Separated grid into one single portion
- Two Columns – Separated grid into two portions
- Three Columns – Separated grid into three portions
- One Third – left column- separated grid into 1 3rd adjust left column
- One Third – Right column – separated grid into 1 3rd adjust right column Now
You can select your column grids from on the go no need to write even single line of code. It works well across all the devices.
Let’s check the one column layout
You can also change the background image of the title section
Three Column Layout:
Added Iframe Web part into the third column
You may like following SharePoint Online communication sites tutorials:
- SharePoint Online communication site Hero web part
- New Site Templates in SharePoint 2013
- Promoted links web part in SharePoint online
- [Solved] Your organization’s policies don’t allow you to share with these users. go to external sharing in the office 365 admin center to enable it.
- Image rendition in SharePoint server 2013
- SharePoint Online Team site Vs Communication site
- Hero Web Part in SharePoint Online Modern Site
- Hub Sites SharePoint Online Office 365 Tutorial Download PDF Free
Let’s overview the other components in a communication site template will discuss it in my second article will be coming soon.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)