This InfoPath SharePoint tutorial explains, how we can limit characters on multiline textboxes in InfoPath 2013/2010 in SharePoint 2013/2010.
If you are using a single line of textboxes in your InfoPath 2013 form and you want to restrict users to enter a specific number of characters then you can do this by right click on the control and go to properties and you can set the character limits.
But if you make the textbox as multiline then the option to limit the number of characters will not come. But still, you can do this by using the rule in InfoPath forms.
Open your InfoPath form using InfoPath 2013 designer and then add a new rule (validation rule) (Select the text box and then from the ribbon click on Home and then Manage Rules). Then set the condition as The expression and then write string-length(.)>500.
Now publish the InfoPath 2013 form to SharePoint Online/2013 and if you will enter more than 50 characters then it will show a message like below:
You may like following SharePoint InfoPath 2013 tutorials:
- Working with InfoPath form library SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Check more than 5 conditions in InfoPath 2013 Rule
- Spell Checker in InfoPath browser-enabled forms
- Hide Display Ribbon on an InfoPath 2010 Form
- Add hyperlink in Infopath 2013
- Add Infopath form to a page in SharePoint using InfoPath Form Web Part
Hope this will help to implement character limits validation on Multiline Boxes in InfoPath 2013/2010 in SharePoint 2013/2010.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)