This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to change column order in list forms (new/edit/display form) in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online without using any code. I have a list created a year ago with more than 20,000 records in it. Now the user wants to add a new field “Loan Status” in the list and it should be the 5 fields in all newForm.aspx, editForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx.
Note: Without recreating the list nor adding any custom code.
Existed: The existing SharePoint list new form looks like below:
Expected: But the list form should look like below:
When we add a new field in a list by default it will get add as the last field in all forms newForm.aspx, editForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx.
Now we should change the order of the list without recreating the list nor adding any custom code.
Solution: Change Column Order in List Forms (new/edit/display) in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
Follow the below steps to achieve this without any code.
1. Open the SharePoint Online list and then click on List settings as part of the ribbon control
2. Click on “Advanced Settings” as part of list setting
3. Enable “Content Types” and click at the end of the page
4. You should be able to see the default content type at the list settings as part of list setting
5. Click on “Item” Content type and it will take all the various properties of that content type. At the end of the page, you should be able to see on option as “Column Order” click on that.
6. Once you click on that option it will show you the existing columns / fields order for all the OOB forms newForm.aspx, editForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx. Now change the position of “LoanStatus” to “5” and click on OK.
7. Once you change the position you can see the position of the field at 5 in all the OOB forms newForm.aspx, editForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx. The below is the NewForm.aspx.
Below is how the EditForm looks like.
Below is the DispForm looks like.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Create a Document Library with Columns programmatically in SharePoint 2016/2013 using Visual Studio 2017
- Display SharePoint Online List Columns in multiple screens in Microsoft PowerApps
- SharePoint Column Validation Examples
- How to use SharePoint Calculated Column in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online + 9 Useful Examples
- Set Default Values in List Columns using Infowise Ultimate Forms in SharePoint Online
- ECMA Script set lookup column value SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Create Site Column and Content Types Using PowerShell
- How to create choice type site column and add mapping inside SharePoint hosted add-in in SharePoint 2013 Online?
- How to add lookup column programmatically using csom in SharePoint online Office 365?
Hope this helps to Change Column Order in List Forms (new/edit/display) in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online without using Code.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)