In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss different ways to change list or library URLs in SharePoint 2013/2016. Here, we will see how to change the list or document library using PowerShell or SharePoint designer 2013 or by using the Open with Explorer option in SharePoint 2013/2016. Step by step let us see, SharePoint change list url
In SharePoint 2013/2016 we often see the challenge of changing the URL of a SharePoint list or document library. We all know that we don’t have an option to change the URL of a list or document library as part of settings.
Since we don’t see an option as part of SharePoint list/library settings, which is not the end of the tunnel we have 3 different ways to change list URL in SharePoint 2013/2016.
- Change SharePoint list or document URL using PowerShell
- Change SharePoint list or document URL using Document Library – Open with explorer
- Change SharePoint list or document URL using SharePoint Designer
Let us walk through each and every approach.
PowerShell to change SharePoint List URL
It is always recommended to automate any manual job with PowerShell in SharePoint if the change is more than 2 items in the site collection. The below script helps us to update the URL of a SharePoint list or library.
PowerShell to Change SharePoint Document Library URL
Below is the PowerShell script to change SharePoint 2013/2016 document library. You can write PowerShell scripts using Windows PowerShell ISE or Visual Studio Code.
$libOldURL = "TestDocumentLibrary" $libNewURL = "TstDocLib" $web = Get-SPWeb -Identity "http://SharePoint13:12345/KVNTest/" $objLib = $web.GetList($web.Url + "/" + $libOldURL) $objRootFolder = $objLib.RootFolder $objRootFolder.MoveTo($web.Url + "/" + $libNewURL) $web.Close()
Document Library URL:
Below you can see the document library URL has been changed.
Once you run the above PowerShell script, the document library URL will be changed like below:
In the above PowerShell script, we are moving the root folder of the library, this will move all the data and properties seamlessly.
PowerShell to Change SharePoint List URL
Below is the PowerShell script to change SharePoint 2013/2016 list.
$lstOldURL = "Sample List" $lstNewURL = "smpList" $web = Get-SPWeb -Identity "http://Sharepoint13:12345/KVNTest/" $web.Lists[$lstOldURL].RootFolder.MoveTo($lstNewURL) $web.Close()
Change Document Library URL with Open with Explorer Option
This approach is a very simple and handy approach that can be accomplished by any user who nominated as a SharePoint site owner. Steps to be accomplished to change SharePoint document library URL with Open with Explorer option.
- Navigate to Document Library in SharePoint Site
- Click on Library in ribbon control
- Click on “Open with Explorer” option under “Connect & Export” section
- Navigate one level above
- Now that you can see all the SharePoint 2013/2016 document libraries & List in the Site as folders
- Rename the document library / List you are looking for
Change Document Library or List URL using SharePoint Designer 2013
The last and a sensitive approach, the reason why I am stressing as sensitive is if we make any small typo mistake entire site will come down. Here I will show, how you can change the SharePoint 2013/2016 document library or list using SharePoint designer 2013.
Steps to be followed:
- Open SharePoint Designer 2013 and open the SharePoint site
- Click on All Files
- Right-click on the required list to be altered and click on Rename option
- Once you rename navigate back to site in IE and check the URL and name of the list.
Here we saw how to change SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library using PowerShell or SharePoint designer 2013. Also, we saw how to change the SharePoint list or document library using Open with Explorer option in SharePoint 2013/2016.
You may like the following SharePoint tutorials:
- 3 Different ways to Change Site Collection URL in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- How to Customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON
- How to customize a SharePoint List form
- How to delete all items from SharePoint list
- SharePoint Workflow history list URL
- SharePoint list permissions
- SharePoint Online image column
- SharePoint list delete title column or SharePoint list title column remove
In this SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we learned how to change the list or library using PowerShell, SharePoint designer 2013, and Open with explorer options in SharePoint 2013/2016.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019