Change list or library URL in SharePoint 2013/2016
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss different ways to change list or library URL in SharePoint 2013/2016. Here, we will see how to change list or document library using PowerShell or SharePoint designer 2013 or by using Open with Explorer option in SharePoint 2013/2016.
In SharePoint 2013/2016 we often see the challenge of changing the URL of a SharePoint list or document library. We all know that we don’t have an option to change the URL of a list or document library as part of settings.
Since we don’t see an option as part of SharePoint list/library settings, which is not the end of the tunnel we have 3 different ways to change list URL in SharePoint 2013/2016.
- Change SharePoint list or document URL using PowerShell
- Change SharePoint list or document URL using Document Library – Open with explorer
- Change SharePoint list or document URL using SharePoint Designer
Let us walk through each and every approach.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- 1 PowerShell to change list or document library URL in SharePoint 2013/2016
- 2 Change Document Library URL with Open with Explorer Option
- 3 Change Document Library or List URL using SharePoint Designer 2013
It is always recommended to automate any manual job with PowerShell in SharePoint if the change is more than 2 items in the site collection. The below script helps us to update the URL of a SharePoint list or library.
$libOldURL = "TestDocumentLibrary" $libNewURL = "TstDocLib" $web = Get-SPWeb -Identity "http://SharePoint13:12345/KVNTest/" $objLib = $web.GetList($web.Url + "/" + $libOldURL) $objRootFolder = $objLib.RootFolder $objRootFolder.MoveTo($web.Url + "/" + $libNewURL) $web.Close()
Document Library URL:
Below you can see the document library URL has been changed.
Once you run the above PowerShell script, the document library URL will be changed like below:
In the above PowerShell script, we are moving the root folder of the library, this will move all the data and properties seamlessly.
Below is the PowerShell script to change SharePoint 2013/2016 list.
$lstOldURL = "Sample List" $lstNewURL = "smpList" $web = Get-SPWeb -Identity "http://Sharepoint13:12345/KVNTest/" $web.Lists[$lstOldURL].RootFolder.MoveTo($lstNewURL) $web.Close()
Change Document Library URL with Open with Explorer Option
This approach is a very simple and handy approach that can be accomplished by any user who nominated as a SharePoint site owner. Steps to be accomplished to change SharePoint document library URL with Open with Explorer option.
- Navigate to Document Library in SharePoint Site
- Click on Library in ribbon control
- Click on “Open with Explorer” option under “Connect & Export” section
- Navigate one level above
- Now that you can see all the SharePoint 2013/2016 document libraries & List in the Site as folders
- Rename the document library / List you are looking for
The last and a sensitive approach, the reason why I am stressing as sensitive is if we make any small typo mistake entire site will come down. Here I will show, how you can change the SharePoint 2013/2016 document library or list using SharePoint designer 2013.
Steps to be followed:
- Open SharePoint Designer 2013 and open the SharePoint site
- Click on All Files
- Right-click on the required list to be altered and click on Rename option
- Once you rename navigate back to site in IE and check the URL and name of the list.
Here we saw how to change SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library using PowerShell or SharePoint designer 2013. Also, we saw how to change the SharePoint list or document library using Open with Explorer option in SharePoint 2013/2016.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- 3 Different ways to Change Site Collection URL in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Extend web application in SharePoint 2013 (using PowerShell and Central Administration)
- PowerShell to clean up user information in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Create List or Document Library using PowerShell in SharePoint Online
- Download files from SharePoint document library using PowerShell
- Create Site Collection and Subsite in SharePoint Online using PowerShell
- SharePoint modern list column formatting examples
- Change column ordering in list forms in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Make Title field read-only in SharePoint list edit form using JSLink
- Customize suite bar in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Design manager is missing in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- How to show/hide columns based on value of SharePoint radio button
This SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we learned how to change the list or library using PowerShell, SharePoint designer 2013 and Open with explorer options in SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)