In SharePoint 2013/2016 we often see the challenge of changing URL of a SharePoint list or document library. We all know that we don’t have an option to change the URL of a list or document library as part of settings. This SharePoint tutorial we will discuss how we can change list or document library using PowerShell or SharePoint designer 2013 or by using Open with Explorer option in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Get SharePoint Online (Office 365 Enterprise E3) Subscription for your Business NOW
- Change list or document URL using PowerShell
- Change list or document URL using Document Library – Open with explorer
- Change list or document URL using SharePoint Designer
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- 1 PowerShell to change list or document library URL in SharePoint 2013/2016
- 2 Change Document Library URL with Open with Explorer Option
- 3 Change Document Library or List URL using SharePoint Designer 2013
It is always recommended to automate any manual job with PowerShell in SharePoint if the change is more than 2 items in the site collection. The below script help us to update the URL of a list or library.
$libOldURL = “TestDocumentLibrary”
$libNewURL = “TstDocLib”
$web = Get-SPWeb -Identity “http://SharePoint13:12345/KVNTest/”
$objLib = $web.GetList($web.Url + “/” + $libOldURL)
$objRootFolder = $objLib.RootFolder
$objRootFolder.MoveTo($web.Url + “/” + $libNewURL)
Document Library URL:
Below you can see the document library URL has been changed.
Once you run the above PowerShell script, the document library URL will be changed like below:
In the above PowerShell script, we are moving the root folder of the library, this will move all the data and properties seamlessly.
Below is the PowerShell script to change SharePoint 2013/2016 list.
$lstOldURL = “Sample List”
$lstNewURL = “smpList”
$web = Get-SPWeb -Identity “http://Sharepoint13:12345/KVNTest/”
Change Document Library URL with Open with Explorer Option
This approach is a very simple and handy approach which can be accomplished by any user who nominated as a SharePoint site owner. Steps to be accomplished to change SharePoint document library URL with Open with Explorer option.
- Navigate to Document Library in SharePoint Site
- Click on Library in ribbon control
- Click on “Open with Explorer” option under “Connect & Export” section
4. Navigate one level above
5. Now that you can see all the SharePoint 2013/2016 document libraries & List in the Site as folders
6. Rename the document library / List you are looking for
The last and a sensitive approach, the reason why I am stressing as sensitive is if we make any small typo mistake entire site will come down. Here I will show, how you can change SharePoint 2013/2016 document library or list using SharePoint designer 2013.
Steps to be followed:
1. Open SharePoint Designer 2013 and open the SharePoint site
2. Click on All Files
3. Right click on the required list to be altered and click on Rename option
4. Once you rename navigate back to site in IE and check the URL and name of the list.
You may like following SharePoint list or document library tutorials:
- How to add Link to a Document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Change SharePoint Online/2013/2016 List Column Order
- SharePoint Document Sets Vs Folder
- Add multiple Office templates as a content type to a document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- User Information List in SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint 2013
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library
- The document library view cannot be displayed for this web site error in SharePoint Designer 2013
- Create document library SharePoint online PowerShell
Here we saw how we can change SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library using PowerShell or SharePoint designer 2013. Also, we saw how we can change SharePoint list or document library using Open with Explorer option in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Hope this helps happy development in SharePoint.