This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to fix the error, Cannot complete this action. The URL Pages Default.aspx is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
Recently I got the error while opening a SharePoint 2013 page. The error comes as:
Cannot complete this action. The URL ‘Pages/Default.aspx’ is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
Sorry, something went wrong
The URL ‘Pages/Default.aspx’ is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: d020539d-7e1e-a03f-6251-c4ba6b921471
This error comes in a SharePoint 2013 which was migrated from MOSS 2007 using a database upgrade approach. Like first migrate from Moss 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and then from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013.
My site page URL was like this:
When we visit this URL it gave the error.
When we open the SharePoint site using SharePoint designer 2013, We are able to see default.aspx page in the designer. Then we try the below options.
cannot complete this action error in sharepoint
First, we saw that the page has been checked out by some other user, then we tried to do undo checkout (Right-click on the page -> undo checkout), but it still gave the same error message.
Then we run the below PowerShell command to forcefully UndoCheckout the page but it still gave the same error message in PowerShell window.
$web = Get-SPWeb https://SiteURL/ $list = $web.Lists["Pages"] $file = $list.GetItemById(1); // ID of the file with the issue $file.File.UndoCheckout() $file.File.Checkin("")
Cannot complete this action. The URL Pages Default.aspx is invalid SharePoint
The second approach which we tried is:
Take a backup of the default.aspx file. In the SharePoint designer 2013, copy the default.aspx file and save it in the same pages directory. Then we deleted the old file and then we rename the backup file to default.aspx and then it started working fine for us.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- add an app page showing loading SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- SharePoint 2013 Image was not appearing in IE but appearing in Chrome and Firefox
- The requested page cannot be viewed because it is not configured properly SharePoint
- Rss viewer webpart in sharepoint 2013/2016/Online
- Delete and restore SharePoint site or subsite using Browser and PowerShell
- Redirect user to another page in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 IE 11 issue An error has occurred with the data fetch
- Site permissions not working after migrating from moss 2007 to sharepoint 2013
- Sorry you dont have access to this page while editing page in SharePoint 2013
- Show paging at top in list view web part in SharePoint
- Cannot open office documents from SharePoint 2013 with Office 2010
- Cannot make a cache safe URL for filename, file not found
- Cannot install .NET Framework 3.5 features on Windows Server 2012
- Cannot connect to the configuration database error in SharePoint
Here, we learned how to fix an error that comes while opening a SharePoint site, Cannot complete this action. The URL Pages Default.aspx is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.