We had come across with requirement for one of the project where the application was completely moved to Azure. The application had many video file reference which was earlier maintained in on premise Server and there was lots of performance issue client was facing.
The application was used globally and performance was big concern. We have multiple ways to handle the scenario and provide solution.
We recommended implementation approach with Azure Blob and Azure CDN.
Also you can read:
– Unable to send Email Alias in a SharePoint Online Workflow Send Email Action
– Configure Search Query Rule Office 365 SharePoint Online
– Migrate custom Search Dictionaries Terms SharePoint 2013 or 2010 to Office 365 SharePoint Online
So let’s talk more in details.
We usually recommend to use Azure Blob storage for storing large amounts of unstructured data (e.g. – video, audio, images, documents etc.). We can store the data publicly or privately as well.
Let’s understand Blob components which includes storage account, container and blob.
– We definitely need Azure storage account (standard and premium) which will be used to store and access data objects. It also gives you storage services which includes files, tables, blobs, azure virtual machine disk and queues.
– Next is Container which will be used to keep unlimited number of blobs and we can unlimited number of container with our storage account.
– The final component is blob which is file type and provided below types of blob.
– Page Blobs – used for high speed read/write operation.
– Block Blobs – used to store text, documents, and media files.
– Append Blobs – Optimized blocks used to make the operation efficient.
Further code needs to be written to create storage account, container (one or many) and upload blob to respective container.
I have already posted understanding of Azure CDN and its use. For our solution we used CDN for better performance.
Create CDN profile and CDN end point based on your application geographic need.
So your Azure storage account is integrated with Azure CDN to provide better performance for media files.