Here we will discuss about application page in SharePoint 2013.
An application page is an ASP.NET Web page that is designed for use in a SharePoint Web site. Application pages are a specialized type of ASP.NET page. The primary difference between an application page and a standard ASP.NET page is that an application page contains content that is merged with a SharePoint master page. A master page enables application pages to share the same appearance and behavior as other pages on a site.
Also check out:
– Difference Between SharePoint Application Pages Vs Site Pages
– How to send email in visual studio 2015 workflow in SharePoint hosted add in in SharePoint online?
– Steps to create custom timer job in SharePoint 2016 using Visual Studio 2015
Application pages in SharePoint 2013 is a very useful concepts.
– Application pages are shared across all sites on the server farm.
– They are deployed under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS folder.
– They are available through a virtual directory namely _layout.
– These pages are basically for administrative tasks.
– To create an application page using Visual Studio 2015 is very easy. By using the template Application Page you can create an application page. You can check out: How to create application pages in SharePoint 2013 using Visual Studio 2013?
– By default the page will use the default.master page.
– The page is derived from the base class LayoutsPageBase which is derived from Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls namespace.
– Application pages cannot be personalized or customized by the end user because they are defined on the file system.
– Example of application page is settings.aspx.