In this post, we will discuss the App lifecycle management in SharePoint 2013. Microsoft released a new development model in SharePoint 2013 known as SharePoint Apps or Add-in.
Get SharePoint Online (Office 365 Enterprise E3) Subscription for your Business NOW
Following Managing the App Life Cycle in SharePoint 2013:
SharePoint apps are coded using a development tool such as Visual Studio. Most professionally produced apps will be done using Visual Studio. Some internally developed apps within an organization may use Napa, but managing the full app lifecycle is best done using the full Visual Studio toolset.
Packaging, also known as publishing, an app refers to the process of compiling the app’s components into a structured deployment file that has an app manifest and an.APP file name extension.
Deployment is the process of copying the app package file to a distribution point. This is will be either the SharePoint Store or a private App Catalog.
Installation occurs when a user goes to the SharePoint Store or App Catalog and requests that the app is installed in a particular SharePoint web site.
Like any software product, apps need to be updated from time to time. The update process is designed to allow the components of an app to be updated without adversely impacting the data stored in sites where the app is already installed. Because it includes its own coding, packaging, deployment, and installation phases, and may occur multiple times over the lifetime of an app.
Also called uninstallation, this process happens when a user requests that the app is removed from a website. This has the effect of removing any artifacts that the app installed in the SharePoint host web along with the entire app web and, optionally, any auto-hosted remote website associated with the app.
You may like following SharePoint Apps or Add-in tutorials:
- Video Tutorial Create and Deploy SharePoint Hosted Add-in using Visual Studio 2015
- Configure Add-In or app development environment in SharePoint server 2016
- How to send email in visual studio 2015 workflow in SharePoint hosted add-in in SharePoint online?
- SharePoint Hosted App or Add-in Example: Create Site Column, Content type, and List in SharePoint Online using Visual Studio 2017
- Provider Hosted App in SharePoint Online using Visual Studio 2017 + Deploy Provider Hosted Add-in to Microsoft Azure
Hope this SharePoint app or Add-in gave an idea on App Life Cycle Management in SharePoint 2013.