In this SharePoint tutorial, let us discuss, how to add parent site navigation to subsite in SharePoint.
- Navigation provides users consistent experience to navigate across the sites by inheriting from the parent sites.
- It is important when you need to provide navigation between peer subsites. In this case, each subsite creates under the site shares a top link bar.
- By sharing the top link bar across the site make user’s experience simpler because it allows an easier and flexible cross navigation experience.
Here, we will see two approach to add parent site navigation to subsite in SharePoint.
Let us see how to add parent site navigation to subsite in SharePoint while creating subsites. Follow the below steps:
- Open your SharePoint sites where you want to create a subsite.
- Navigate to Site Contents, then click on the dropdown arrow next to New -> Subsite.
- Enter title of the subsite, then add a description and enter URL name or website address.
- Next to Template selection, enter your language and then select a Template.
- Next to permission, under user permissions, select use same permission as parent site (if you select use same permission as parent site then, one set of user permission shared with both the site). Else you can give unique permission to the sites.
- Next to Navigation, under, display this site on the quick launch in the parent site, if you are selecting Yes then, it will show this site(subsite)in the quick launch of the parent site, else you are selecting No then it will not be shown in the quick launch of the parent site. Under display this site on the top link bar in the parent site, if you are selecting Yes then this site will show in the top link bar, else you are select No then it will not be shown in the top link bar.
- Next to the navigation inheritance, under use the top link bar from the parent site, if you are selecting yes then the top link bar from the parent site will add to a subsite while creating, else you are selecting No then it will not be added to the site
- Click on Create.
- Now, you can see the sites in the top link bar. I have created two subsites (Tech team Management, Developer) from here you can navigate across the site. Navigation is inherited from the parent site.
From the below example, you can see the parent site having a link to subsites. You can see the subsites in the Top link bar and also in Quick launch.
This is how we can add parent site navigation to subsite in SharePoint Online.
We can also directly customize the left navigation to add parent site navigation to a subsite in SharePoint Online.
If you want to navigate from subsite to parent site, then you can follow the steps to achieve it
- Open SharePoint subsite (Developer)
- Click on the edit in the Quick Launch
- Click on the plus sign where you want to add the parent site.
- Then, enter URL address and display name
- Click on Save.
Now, we can navigate from subsite to another subsite, subsite to the parent site, and also parent site to subsites.
You may like the following SharePoint tutorials:
- How to display excel spreadsheet in SharePoint
- What is a SharePoint site collection administrator?
- Grant user access to SharePoint site office 365
- How to allow anonymous read access to a SharePoint site?
- Move files from OneDrive for Business to SharePoint Online
- How to Change SharePoint Site Logo + PowerShell
In this tutorial, we learned how to add parent site navigation to a subsite in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016/2019.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com