In this post we will discuss about how to add a custom actions to a list item menu using SharePoint designer 2010 in SharePoint 2010. Also you can check out my previous posts on:
– Enable Sign in as Different User Option in SharePoint 2013
– Different Search API and there location in SharePoint 2013
– Zip code validation in InfoPath 2010
Follow below steps to add a custom action to list item:
– Open SharePoint Designer 2010 and navigate to list from site objects for which you want to add the custom action as shown in the fig below.
– Then go to the Custom Action section from the list setting page and click on New as shown in the figure below:
– This will open the “Create Custom Action” dialog box. Here give the Name, Descrition, Select the type of action. SharePoint provides 3 types of action that you can do:
1- Navigate to a form for this list
2- Initiate workflow
3- Navigate to URL
Here we will choose Navigate to URL and from the Browser button you can select any URL, Here we have selected a Document library URL.
Then scroll down in the dialog box and give a sequence number, Anything over 10000 is a good practice, so you do not interfere with any other items in the list. Check the fig below:
– Then click OK, and you now have a custom action, associated with a list item. When you open the list and see the custom context menu, the custom action will appear like below: