Add custom action button in List ribbon using SharePoint designer 2013
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint designer tutorial, we will discuss how to add a custom action button using sharepoint designer 2013 into SharePoint 2013 list ribbon.
Also, we will see how to navigate to an URL, on click on the custom action button in SharePoint. I will also show how to get the selected item id, on click of the ribbon action button using SharePoint designer 2013.
The same way we can add a custom action button using designer in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Follow below steps to add custom buttons to SharePoint list ribbon using SharePoint designer 2013
Open your SharePoint 2013 site using SharePoint designer 2013, then from the Site objects click on the Lists and Libraries from the navigation.
This will display all the lists and libraries in the page. Click on the particular list in which you want to add the button. Then from the List settings page, go to the ribbon click on Custom Action -> View Ribbon as shown in the fig below:
This will open the Create Custom Action dialog box, Give a Name for the button and optionally put a description. Then in the Select the type of action there are three options to do:
- Navigate to form: You can give the form name where you want to navigate.
- Initiate workflow: You can initiate any workflow associated with the list by choosing this option.
- Navigate to URL: You can specify the URL where you want to navigate on click on that button.
Here first we will choose to Navigate to URL option and give the URL like below:
Then in the Advanced custom action options, you can provide the Button image URLs and then in the Ribbon Location, you can provide the where the button will appear in the Ribbon. Here I have given the default option “Ribbon.ListItem.Actions.Controls._children“.
In this case, the button will appear in the list ribbon under the Items tab in the Actions section. see fig below:
You can check out SharePoint 2013 Ribbon Locations in this MSDN article.
Now once you click on OK in the Create Custom Action dialog box, then open the list in the browser, you will be able to see the button like below. Once you will click on the button you will be redirected to the provided URL presented in the Custom Action dialog box.
Then you can modify the Navigate to URL and can write like below:
Now modify the Navigate to URL option like below in the Create Custom Action dialog box.
Now whenever the user selects one or more than one list item and then click on the custom ribbon button which we have just created, it will display the selected item ids in SharePoint.
You may like the following SharePoint designer tutorials:
- How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2013 or SharePoint Designer 2010 Cache?
- Change width of list view column in SharePoint 2013 using SharePoint designer 2013
- the server could not complete your request sharepoint designer 2013
- How to check site collection size SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell and SharePoint Designer 2013
- Customize SharePoint 2013 list form using SharePoint designer 2013
- Steps to create deploy and Associate reusable workflow using SharePoint designer 2013
- Add Menu to ECM List Item Menu in SharePoint 2013 using SharePoint Designer 2013
- List View Tools tab missing in SharePoint designer 2013
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps to add a custom action button using SharePoint designer 2013 in SharePoint 2013 list ribbon.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)