This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to add closed web part on a web part page in SharePoint 2013/2016.
In a site collection, I have a page with multiple web parts across the zones. As part of a recent solution release, one of the web part logic on the page was implemented incorrectly and user advised me don’t show the webpart till we correct the logic. Here we will discuss how we can add closed web part in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Add closed web part SharePoint 2013
We can add a closed web part by 2 ways to address the user advice.
- Delete the webpart from the page
- Close the webpart as part of webpart manager page
We can delete the web part from the SharePoint page, by which it will be removed. But instead of that, we can close the webpart from the page.
Here I would like to choose option 2.
Close the webpart as part of webpart manager page
Open the SharePoint page and Add “?contents=1” query string to the URL to redirect the page to webpart maintenance page
Select the web part you want to remove from the page and click on close
Ex: Documents webpart
As soon as you close the webpart the status will be turned as NO.
Since we have closed the web part on the page it will not render on the page anymore.
If we want to add the webpart back on the page follow the below steps:
Edit the page from page edit option.
Click on add web part and select closed web parts from Categories list and select documents web part from the Parts list and click on the add button
Once you add the web part you close the page edit mode and click on Save button.
That’s it you will get the closed webpart back on the page with all the data and functionality.
Advantages with this approach:
- If we have added to the webpart as part of properties all those will remain the same
- We need not specify which zone it needs to be added as it is a closed webpart on the page
- This will change webpart status as open on webpart maintenance page
You may like following SharePoint web part pages tutorials:
- Create a web part page using visual studio 2013 in SharePoint 2013
- Remove duplicate web parts from the SharePoint web part page
- Create a web part page or wiki page in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Changing Of SharePoint 2010 Custom Site Icon on Web Part Page
- SharePoint 2010 web part pages do not show the left navigation by default
- Only secure content is displayed error in SharePoint Online page viewer web part
- Show Ribbon for ListViewWebPart on Page SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- SharePoint 2013 error If you have permission you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings
- The maximum number of web parts for all zones on this page has been exceeded error in SharePoint 2013
- Add Infopath form to a page in SharePoint using InfoPath Form Web Part
- Create Page templates in SharePoint Online Modern Experience
In this SharePoint tutorial, we learned, how to add closed web parts on a page in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.