Win prizes like Hard Disk, Pen drives, T-Shirts etc.
for more information
SharePoint Articles ↓
SharePoint Object Model
MasterPage & Page Layout
List & Library
View All Jobs
See All News
.Net Articles ↓
Testing (QTP) Training
Request a Quote
Tutorial on User Profile service application in SharePoint 2013
14-Jun-2013 6:46 PM
In this tutorial we will discuss about user profile service aaplication in SharePoint 2013. Also you can check out my previous posts on:
Enable Sign in as Different User Option in SharePoint 2013
Architectural changes in SharePoint 2013
Create content type in SharePoint 2013
The User Profile service application stores information about users in a central location. To use My Site, social tagging, newsfeeds ets we should enable the User Profile service application.
The User Profile service application in
SharePoint Server 2013
provides a central location where service administrators configure and administer the following features:
– This contains detailed information about people in an organization. A user profile organizes and displays all of the properties related to each user, together with social tags, documents, and other items related to that user.
– This synchronizes groups and user profile information that is stored in the SharePoint Server 2013 profile database together with information that is stored in directory services across the enterprise.
– It enables organizations to target content to users based on their job or task, as defined by their membership in a SharePoint Server group or distribution list, by the organizational reporting structure, or by the public properties in their user profiles.
My Site Host
– This is a dedicated site for hosting My Sites. A My Site Host is needed in order to deploy the social features of SharePoint Server.
– This is a personal site that gives users in your organization a central location to manage and store documents, links, and information about colleagues.
Social tags and notes
– It enables users to add social tags to documents, to other SharePoint Server items, and to other items, such as external web pages and blog posts. Users can also leave notes on profile pages of a My Site or any SharePoint Server page. Administrators can delete all tags for employees when they leave the company or remove a tag they do not want.
When you create a User Profile service application, SharePoint Server creates three databases:
– This database is used to store user profile information.
– This database is used to store configuration and staging information for synchronizing profile data from external sources such as the Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).
Social tagging database
– This database is used to store social tags and notes created by users.Each social tag and note is associated with a profile ID.
Each of these databases can be accessed by My Sites, Team Sites, and other SharePoint sites by using the User Profile service application.
Refered from MSDN
If You Like this Post, Please Like us in Facebook and Follow us in Twitter
Share This Now >>
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working with a reputed organization in Bangalore. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (3 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out
My MVP Profile.
view full profile
To insert images, Upload images
or you can use flickr or picasa to upload images. After that paste the image url in the editor image dialog box.
Recent SharePoint Articles
-How to delete file using Rest API in SharePoint Online Offic...
-Enable tree view in Office 365 SharePoint Online sites
-SharePoint hosted add-in error Failed to get web title Error...
-How to retrieve host web site title in add-in web in SharePo...
-How to retrieve all host web lists in add-in web in SharePoi...
See all articles
SharePoint Tag Cloud
AngularJS SharePoint (4)
Backup and Restore (13)
Business Conectivity Services (11)
CAML and LINQ (10)
Central Administration (3)
Excel Services (14)
Featurs and Event Receivers (18)
Interview Questions (11)
List and Library (125)
MasterPage and PageLayOut (24)
Moss 2007 (3)
Product Reviews (37)
REST API SharePoint (45)
SharePoint 2010 (96)
SharePoint 2013 (167)
SharePoint 2016 (46)
SharePoint 3rd party tools (2)
SharePoint Apps (52)
Sharepoint Customization (85)
SharePoint Designer (35)
SharePoint Object Model (82)
SharePoint Online and Office 365 (92)
SharePoint Search (40)
SharePoint Security (25)
Site Collection and Web Application (17)
Site Definition and Templates (15)
Video Tutorials (3)
Visual Studio (36)
WCF and Web Service (8)
Windows Azure (20)
Related SharePoint Articles
-How to retrieve all content database names for SharePoint 2016 web applications using SharePoint server object model?
-Export SharePoint designer List workflow from one site to another site
-Facebook WebPart in SharePoint 2010
-Accordion Style Left Navigation using JQuery and CSS in SharePoint 2010
-SharePoint 2013 SPListItem method Update SystemUpdate and UpdateOverwriteVersion
-SharePoint 2010 Best Practices
See all articles
Recent Article Comments
24-Mar-2017 11:02 AM
Try the most promising tool OST to PST Converter software which can recover...
24-Mar-2017 5:59 AM
Good one thanks for sharing sir
15-Mar-2017 10:47 AM
07-Mar-2017 3:55 PM
Danilo da Silva Guimarães
Thanks for sharing the information!Helped me a lot! =)Sincerely,Danilo
03-Mar-2017 6:48 AM
As a beginner,those codes are very easy to debug and outputs are straight f...
See all article comments
Subscribe by e-mail address to receive latest news and updates.