This guide shows you how to create a closed environment with an Active Directory on a separate server. With a closed environment depend on connectivity to your company’s AD or on a person managing it (e.g. if you need accounts or changes).
This is a series of post of SharePoint Server 2016 Beta 2 and SharePoint 2016 RC Single Server Farm Technical Preview Deployment Guide.
SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview provides a first look of overall Product Improvements and Features with its latest release. This Version is not fully armed with the complete set of features and capabilities. As always the final product will be announced with RTM (Released to Manufacture) Version.
This Book will guide you to install and Configure Microsoft SharePoint Server 2016 in a Multi-Server Farm Mode for testing and Developmental Purposes. Microsoft has Released SharePoint Server 2016 Technical Preview which is specifically targeting the technical audience to allow this latest version to be tested prior to its next major releases. Microsoft marking another Milestone with their one of the largest product family ‘SharePoint Server’ with this Release.
Some of the Key benefits of 2016 are:
- Improved Provisioning capabilities
- Mobile and Touch support
- App Launcher
- New and improved Controls
- SharePoint Insights
- Simple and Natural Sharing
- Large File Support
- Compliance Tools
- Cloud Hybrid Search
- Hybrid Scenarios Coverage
1.1 SharePoint 2016 - New & Improved Features
New information available for SharePoint 2016 can be classified in 4 categories:
Memory / RAM
64-bit, 4 cores
64-bit, 4 cores
system requirement for 64-bit version of SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 or
*There is a built in SQL Server. You need to install a separate SQL Express/Developer or any other edition even for development server.
- Any one of Windows Server 2012 R2 | Windows Server 10
- Windows Management Framework 3.0
- Application Server Role
- Web Server (IIS) Role
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (in on Windows Server 10, then Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.6)
- Update for the .NET Framework 4 (KB2898850)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client
- Microsoft Identity Extensions
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server AppFabric v1.1 (MS is planning tend AppFabric, but it will be supported for SP 2013 and 2016).
- Windows Identity Foundation v1.1
- Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client
- Microsoft WCF Data Services.
Upgrade and Migration
- Upgrade path is from 2013 t2016
- Upgrade 14.5 mode site t15 mode and then upgrade
- Allow the same database attach upgrade process
- Migrate Content t2016 (using migration APIs or partner tools)
- Windows Identity over SAML claims
- Trying to normalize on oAuth/OpenID standards
- Allow using non-default ports
- Allowing to use STARTTLS connection encryption.
Reliability, Performance and scalability:
- Moving from SharePoint 2013 based job enable / disable to predefined set of logic executing on a machine (Termed as MinRole Topology)
- New Server Roles in SharePoint 2016
- Special Load – custom service applications, services, third party components which are outside of MinRole Topology
- Web Front End – services end user requests. Servers are optimized for low latency
- Search – service application provisioning, indexing service and other search components.
- Application – services backend jobs or requests triggered by backend jobs. Servers are optimized for high throughput
- Distributed Cache – servers distributed cache for the farm.
- Single Server Farm – for development purpose, configure (excluding SQL Server) all services on one server.
- New Service categories in SharePoint 2016
- User Services
- Robot Services
- Caching Services
- Server Role and Health Analyzer
- Patching Updates
- Improvement in boundaries and limits
- Content DB size up tTB’s (not yet identified the limit)
- 100K sites per site collection
- List view threshold > 5000 items
- Upload file size up t10 GB and removed character restrictions
- Search scaling up t500 M items.
- Better File Performance
- Use BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) for better file performance
- Fast Site Creation
- Create faster site collections at database level using the standard site template saved as site.
- Remove feature activation overhead
- User Profile Service
- Bi-directional sync using external FIM service. Nbuilt in FIM anymore.
- Project Server
- Still require separate Project Server Licensing, but SharePoint and Project Server content database is merged.
- Durable Links
- New sharing URLs are resources Id based, thus renaming file, moving file will not break the link already shared.
Analytics (Insights and Data)
- Real time data analysis on various parameters
- daily active users
- Weekly active users
- Usage by browser
- Usage by agent
- Usage by OS
- Storage by site template
- Daily storage
- File type
- Storage breakout
- Health Reports
- Compliance Center
- This showcase the feasibility of bringing same compliance system ton-premises which works well in O365 with Azure RMS.
- Discover and preserve with hybrid eDiscovery.
- Cloud Search Service Application
- This unifies the on-premises and cloud data search from one search center.
- This also adds value to Office Graph / Delve textend the presence on on-premises.
- This can alsleave search running in cloud only while indexing from on-premises and online.
- Making easier to maintain and publish sites to Internet.
- Using O365 Identity federation services.
- Team Sites
- Separate the data in either on-premises or in cloud
- Follow sites, documents or people in on-premises and master the information in cloud.
- Allowing ODF files creation.
- Scenario Picker
- Hybrid deployment automation
- Select the Hybrid configuration required and use automated and wizard driven information to setup Hybrid (forget the lengthy procedures and PowerShell scripts to run)
Note: the information in this blog post is based on the information presented and available on public forums. The actual product SharePoint 2016 can have difference from what is available. Please take time to check the new features when the product is released.
1.2 Architecture of This Scenario:
A Three-Tier farm is used for this scenario together with a Separate Active Directory Server in order to demonstrate the three layers as below figure.
Note: Here we are going for single server farm server
1.3 Hardware Requirements
four cores (small deployments)
eight cores (medium deployments)
GB (small deployments)
GB (medium deployments)
1.4 Software Requirements
In order to deploy SharePoint 2016 beta 2 you need the 64-bit edition of one of the following operating Systems:
I. Windows Server 2012 R2 - Standard
II. Microsoft SQL server 2014 SP1
III. Microsoft .net framework 4.5