In this post we will discuss what is a timeline web part, as well as how to add a timeline web part to a page. The Timeline web part provides the timeline without the Summary or Quick Edit links. This allows the user that is managing the site to use the web part that fi ts their needs, whether that is managing the tasks or simply viewing them. The Timeline web part provides the ability to move the layout of the tasks. Users can still quickly interact with the tasks on the timeline by clicking the task, which brings up a dialog with common editing options such as opening the full item or removing the task from the timeline.
Also you can check my previous posts on:
Timeline web part is a new web part provided in SharePoint 2013.
To add a Timeline web part to a SharePoint page follow below steps:
- Edit the SharePoint page and then from the Ribbon click on Insert Tab and from there click on Web Part icon.
- This will open the webpart categories page, where it will show list of webparts. From there select the "Content Rollup" category. In this category select "Timeline" web part and then click on Add as shown in the fig below.
- This will add the timeline web part to the page successfully.
- Then we need to give a datasource to the timeline web part. The data source can come from other site collections also. This data source url is nothing but a task list url.
- To give the datasource url, edit the timeline web part and then in the Data Source section, give the data source url in the Select the data source to connect to the timeline.
In the Web URL section, give your site URL, And if it is a valid URL, then the Type and Source dropdown will get autopopulated. And from the Source you can chose the List URL and also you can chose the View Name from the View Name section. Check fig below:
- It will look like below: