A user tries to open an InfoPath form in the application instead of the browser, and get an error message:
The user can open in the browser just fine, and has been able to open the forms previously with no problem. User is able to download the form to their desktop and open the form in InfoPath. But when they try to open the form in the application from the context menu, the above error is shown.
In researching the error, I found a support posting that provided a clue to the problem. In it, the user is instructed to enable Add Ons in their Internet Explorer:
- Go to Tools in IE, click Internet Options
- Click Programs at the top
- Click “Manage add-ons” near the bottom
- Click Publisher, then you can see all of Microsoft Corporation together
- Scroll to SharePoint names (May be one or several)
- Make sure they are all enabled by clicking on the name; the Enable button is towards the bottom.
- Then click OK and OK and restart IE