In this post we will discuss about Managed metadata service in SharePoint 2013.
Also you can check out:
It manages taxonomy hierarchies, keywords and social tagging infrastructure, and publish content types across site collections.
Metadata plays very critical role in defining a strict policy of tagging items based on specific terms only which will internally help people to find and locate the information easily when they search any content specific to their area of interest. When any items tagged properly, then the search becomes very easy.
To use managed meta data, a web application need to have connection to the managed metadata service. When managed meta data service is created, a connection will be created to the web application.
Configure managed meta data service :
1. Central Administration -> Application management -> Manage service applications -> New
2. Select Managed Metadata Service
3. SharePoint will prompt you a little wizard and you have to fill some information to create your service.
4. When you finished giving all the information to the wizard, you should see that the service has been started
5. After creating managed meta data service, we need to check the following properties (Managed meta data service -> Properties(top ribbon)).
6. On the ribbon click to Administrators and provide a user who will get "full control" for these services.
Managing your Term Store from your Content Type Hub :
a. In your Content Type Hub Site Collection we created in the first part , go into Site Settings -> Site Administration -> Term Store Management.
b. Create a new Term Set , and creates new Terms.