Also you can check out my previous posts on:
We developed and tested the workflow on a testing environment and now wants to move to the production environment without the need to re-develop the workflow.
The steps to perform this is rather simple:
1. Export the workflow to Visio.
2. Edit the VWI archive and delete the configuration file.
3. Import the workflow back to your destination site.
First we will export all files from the first site.
Open you site in SharePoint designer -> All Files -> Workflows -> Open your workflow.
Then select all files and click on Export as shown in the fig below:
1. Open Second Site in SharePoint Designer 2010
2. Then go to All Files -> Workflows. Here Create same workflow folder of the site first name.
3. Then create a Blank workflow inside the folder and then copy List ID, TaskListID and HistoryListID.
4. Open xoml.wfconfig.xml in Notepad, Then find the Association tag and very carefully change the GUIDs so that your migrated List IDs are the same as the "Site 2 List" workflow List IDs. Check fig below:
5. Save the file.
6. Close SharePoint Designer.
7. Open SharePoint Designer again and open your site.
8. Instead of All Files, this time click on Workflows.
9. Select your workflow, then Save and Publish the workflow.