In this post we will discuss about What is Document Sets? And What is the advantages of document sets in SharePoint 2010?
Document sets comes as a new feature in SharePoint 2010. A document set is related to a document library and is similar to a folder. This is like a folder where you can upload multiple documents to a document sets.
Each document set can have a different set of content types. Creating a new document set means creating a set of different documents.
Advantages of Document sets:
- Each set has its own version history. It’s not necessary to track changes at the document level.
- You can assign access rights on a per-set level.
- You can assign and start workflows related to a set.
- Users can download the whole document set as a ZIP file.
- The home page related to a document set is a wiki page that can be edited easily.
- Documents that are part of a document set can share their metadata.
By default document set feature is in Deactive state. But you can activate in site collection level. To activate the document sets feature go to the site settings, then go to the Site collection features section. On the next page, click the Activate button near the Document Sets feature entry.