Document properties are clearing out when uploading a Powerpoint document to SharePoint site.
Also you can check out some posts on:
We had a user who has an issue where he uploads a PowerPoint document with some predefined properties in place enforced by the clients IT security team.
These properties are nothing was just a categorization of the document in different ways. The issue was when user checkout the document, edit the document and then check in back the document all the properties associated with the document was washed/vanished (you can call it whatever you want…).
Hmm, Interesting. This only happening to PowerPoint document, rest all documents were opening fine without any issue.
- It seems to be very heavy issue to me. At first instances it was filling something to be wrong with PowerPoint document on the local desktop.
- We cleared all the properties of the document, uploaded on SharePoint check-out, edited it, check-in back but still the problem is same.
- We tried the same steps with excel, word type documents and its working fine.
- Replicated the issue on a different site by saving the list as a template without content and it was reproduced i.e. properties are getting clearing out again and again.
- Uploaded a test PowerPoint on the site and it was working fine.
- Uploading new document is working fine but issue is occurring on the old documents.
- There was no clear point which could tell why this issue is occurring, however, the one thing which was very basic to check but ignored. The problem document was a password protected. When removed and uploaded it was working fine. Properties was not clearing out.
- We tried the reverse on other documents i.e. protected the excel and word documents with password and uploaded to SharePoint, uploading , checkout, editing, check-in back and it again brought issue back.
So it was clear that password protection was giving issue on the documents properties clearing out.
- Now the question was why this is happening? Is because password protection use encryption and with the encrypted properties SharePoint doesn't understand the properties values and make then blank.
You have to choose the properties again by editing the document properties to again categories them.
You can educate user of your company by spreading this work in the internal SharePoint forums by creating FAQ’s etc.
If you are not aware how to enable and disable password protection on office documents, below is the link:
Read at my blog: http://mossnwss.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/document-properties-are-clearing-out.html
Applies to: MOSS 2007, SharePoint Server 2010, Office 2007, Office 2010.