In this article we will discuss about Differences Between Sandboxed and Farm Solutions in SharePoint 2013. Also you can check out my previous posts on:
Apart from SharePoint App model, you can build two types of soluions like farm solutions and sandboxed solution. But Microsoft is not recommending to develop any new sandboxed solutions.
are deployed via SharePoint 2013 central administration or by using PowerShell. It first uploaded by using PowerShell to Farm solution store which is in SharePoint configuration database. Once the soluton has been added it can be deployed to the particualar location after that only users can start using the functionality. You can see How to deploy farm wsp solution in sharepoint 2010 using PowerShell?
On the other hand Sandboxed solutions
usually uploaded to a site collection's solution gallery by site collection administrators. Usually Sandboxed solutions are uploaded and activated by site collection administrators. The sandbox solution stores in the content database where the site collection is stored in. A sandboxed solution and its contents will not be deployed to the SharePoint server's file system. The functionality from a sandboxed solution is only available in the site collection or collections where it has been deployed. You can see: How to deploy sandboxed solution in SharePoint 2010?
- Farm solutions are hosted in the IIS worker process (W3WP.exe).
- If you run any code in farm solution the whole farm will got affected.
- If you deploy any feature or retract any feature the whole application pool got recycled.
- Since they are scoped as farm level, they have full trust access to all the resources.
- When the Sandboxed Solution property is set to False, selecting Build\Deploy will deploy the solution to the Farm Solution Gallery.
- Sandboxed solutionsare hosted in the SharePoint user code solution worker process (SPUCWorkerProcess.exe).
- The process runs under a CAS policy that restricts programmatic access to any resource outside the sandbox. So it never restart the IIS application pool.
- If you run any code it will affect only the site collection of the solution.
- Helpful if you have shared hosting.
- When the Sandboxed Solution property is set to True, selecting Build\Deploy Solution deploys the solution to the site collection Solution Gallery.
One major difference in the deployment is Farm solutions are installed and deployed. Sandboxed solutions are uploaded and activated.