In this article we will discuss about Differences Between Sandboxed and Farm Solutions in SharePoint 2010. Also you can check out my previous posts on:
In SharePoint 2010 we can have two types of solutions one is Sandboxed Solution and Farm Solution while developing a solution in Visual Studio 2010. We will discuss some of the difference between these two type of solutions.
- Farm solutions are hosted in the IIS worker process (W3WP.exe).
- If you run any code in farm solution the whole farm will got affected.
- If you deploy any feature or retract any feature the whole application pool got recycled.
- Since they are scoped as farm level, they have full trust access to all the resources.
- When the Sandboxed Solution property is set to False, selecting Build\Deploy will deploy the solution to the Farm Solution Gallery.
- Sandboxed solutionsare hosted in the SharePoint user code solution worker process (SPUCWorkerProcess.exe).
- The process runs under a CAS policy that restricts programmatic access to any resource outside the sandbox. So it never restart the IIS application pool.
- If you run any code it will affect only the site collection of the solution.
- Helpful if you have shared hosting.
- When the Sandboxed Solution property is set to True, selecting Build\Deploy Solution deploys the solution to the site collection Solution Gallery.
One major difference in the deployment is Farm solutions are installed and deployed. Sandboxed solutions are uploaded and activated.