In this post we will discuss about apps packaging in SharePoint 2013. Also you can check my previous posts on:
- A new packaging format is used for apps which enables apps to be hosted outside of SharePoint and integrated into Microsoft Office.
- The extension is .app.
- The main file name is AppManifest.xml which contains the properties
and links to other files and this file is necessary to package an app correctly.
- Also it contains files like Resource files, Data Tier Application Packages (DACPACs), and Web Deploy Packages etc.
- App package file is nothing but a .zip file. You can rename this with .zip extension and can view all the files in Windows explorer.
- There are two places where you can publish your package: The public office store and an internal organization app catalog. As the name suggest The public office store is the place from where other users can view and download your app. And internal organization app catalog is the place which is used for internal deployment only.
- For publishing the app, you need to give the client ID, client secret etc are necessary which you can provide through Publish Office apps Wizard. Once the work is finished in the wizard, Visual Studio automatically generates the files needed to publish your app and these files are presented in <app>\bin\Debug\app.publish folder.
All apps contain the .app file, which can be uploaded to the right catalog for deployment.